ARCATA – Celebrate the visual and performing arts in Downtown Arcata during Arts! Arcata on Friday, Nov. 11 from 4 to 8 p.m. We want to welcome all our community members to come out and visit with us for a lively night market of local art displayed in our downtown stores.
Local art vendors will be set up in the center of the Plaza, which will also be a beer garden featuring live music from White Deer, a new Humboldt County band, playing original Americana country.
The following are the participating venues:
• Arcata Artisans, 883 H St. – For November the recent works of Joyce Jonte’ and Kurt Hellmich are featured. Joyce Jonte’ paints the human figure and botanicals. In her own words: “I paint every day, focusing on beauty, hope, and grace. The hours I spend in my studio creating art are healing and uplifting. I hope to express my joy and passion in this display of new florals and figures, celebrating life, nature and humanity.” Kurt Hellmich is a longtime cherished fine local woodworker. Currently he specializes in fine wooden gift items such as cribbage boards, cheese slicers, cutting boards, boxes and unique small drawers.
• Arcata Gallery, 1063 H St. – Live music provided by the Moondocks, 6 to 9 p.m.
• EXIT Theatre, 890 G St. , upstairs – Come catch some of your favorite tunes with jazz saxophone artist Stan Fleming Jr. from 4 to 6 p.m.
• Fire Arts Center Gallery, 520 South G St. – Fire Arts Gallery is featuring works by our talented staff, including David Jordan, Alder Gustafson, Sophie Holderman, Natalia Melendez Rosa, Jess Swan, Elaine Y. Shore, and Elizabeth P. Johnson. Stop in and see what’s new!
• Heart of Humboldt, 601 I St. #B – We are excited about our November Artist. Our Artist of the Month is Amber Star from Painted Forest Art. She will have her vibrant, nature-inspired pieces on display. Amber’s main medium is marker and acrylic paint. In addition to Amber being in the shop during Arts! Arcata, we will also have UpNorth Humboldt doing a live demo in-store. Amber’s Instagram handle is @PaintedForestArt.
• Humboldt Cactus Company, 1034 H St. – Art, succulents, cacti, local pottery, and Plantasia live music celebration.
• InfuZions, 863 H St. – Featured art for November is by HighOrb. HighOrb is about creating psychedelic abstract art through the use of lighting and UV reactive paints. Each piece of art is different and under black light can seem like an entirely new piece as the paints glow and pop off the canvas.
• Jacoby Storehouse, 791 Eighth St. – Jay Brown Art & Design will be open for viewing and a chance to visit a working art studio from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Plaza Grill on the second floor continues Mixed Media Works on Paper by Jay Brown for November. New work featured is the Lightning Complex Fire Viewed from Manila.
• KC Fitness Personal Training, 789 I St. – Animals Teach , by Laura Phelan-Shahin. Laura is a visual artist/expressive arts therapist. She believes in the healing power of the arts. Her painting practice is contemplation through meditation or prayer. During the time she is painting a piece, Laura tunes into that animals’ spirit by learning about them scientifically and mythologically, and also by meditating on them. This is a practice of listening, in which she attempts to capture what is heard.
• Moonrise Herbs, 826 G St. – Paintings by Noelle Cox. Music and singing provided by Brook Sharp and Emma Marquez. We are two artistic, funky, and eclectic ladies that love to get their groove on and wholeheartedly love sharing that passion for music with others. Both of us sing & play the acoustic guitar, but Emma also rips on the fiddle. We mainly play covers of artists in the genres of folk, country, & alternative/indie, and we are also in the process of writing our own music. We hope to see you groovin’ out there on Friday at Moonrise Herbs. Free tea for refreshment.
• Umpqua Bank Upstairs Gallery, 1063 G St. – Alejandro Escudero presents Psychedelic Mexican Surf Art at the Umpqua Upstairs Gallery 6 to 9 p.m.